2009年5月13日水曜日

From Gail Lackey, USA

I have received interesting thoughts after World Ningyo Exhibition.
I would like to share it here in both English and Japanese, with permission of the artist.
This email is from Gail Lackey from USA. She has been interested in Japanese ball jointed dolls from earlier than the others.Her doll was recieved well by so called 'do-ru'(=doll) fans in Japan.

*

Thank you for your letter. I am happy to hear that the exhibition went better than you expected and that there were many sales. I am thankful that my little doll sold when I see there were so many fabulous works of art there, and so many wonderful Japanese artists.
The ball jointed dolls are becoming such a really big thing hear in the states. I knew it would be big when many years ago I saw the work of Katan. I fell in love with her dolls and wanted to express the same emotion in my own dolls. I wanted to learn how to do the ball jointed dolls, but to experiment takes time away from my regular dolls, so I never had time. Recently though, I have experimented and have purchased the book of Ryo Yoshida. I also have many of the japanese doll books to inspire me. I especially love the work of Koitsukihime. I have a great desire to make this type of doll.
Here in the US it is mostly the resin ball jointed dolls from Japan and Korea that are purchased as there are only a couple of artists that sculpt and create their own dolls.People that can't make their own dolls love painting and dressing these resin dolls.
For me, I am getting tired of creating dolls that have no movement and love the idea of being able to move the doll and play, plus, this gives it a more life- like quality.

I am going to teach a class at niada this year on basic ball jointed dolls using a humpty dumpty egg shaped doll and just teaching how to ball joint the legs. I am hoping to be one of the first artists that will entire into to this area of sculpting ooak ball jointed dolls
So far, I have kept the ball jointed dolls I have done, as they are not perfect and they are taking so much time to do.
The dark gothic culture is really big now and the time is perfect for me to do such a thing. The artists I know here are facinated with the japanese ball jointed dolls also. I think the influence of film maker Tim Burton has a lot to do with this, dark culture being accepted.

Thank you for inviting me to do the exhibition it was an honour to have my work be among so many other wonderful artists. I am glad the show was successful!
Best, Gail